Portrait of Creative Technologist

Joy Buolamwini | Media Lab Graduate Student – Civic Media Group

@code4rights @jovialjoy

PHOTO+2013TN01126+Buolamwini (1)

My mission is to show compassion through computation and ensure all who aspire to be creators are provided pathways to become full participants in the creation of the future. To realize this mission, I founded Code4Rights to empower individuals to create meaningful technology for their communities. Code4Rights builds on my work in Zambia facilitating the development of the Asikana Network Women’s Rights App available to all Zambia Airtel subscribers.

I am an entrepreneur, Rhodes Scholar, a Fulbright Fellow, a Stamps Scholar,  a Google Anita Borg Scholar, Astronaut Scholar, and a Carter Center technical consultant recognized as a distinguished volunteer. At the Carter Center, I created an android-based mobile surveying solution that was initially deployed to survey nearly 40,000 people in Ethiopia to help eliminate blinding Trachoma for over 17 million people. The tools are now used in Nigeria, South Sudan, Mali, and Niger to combat other neglected tropical diseases. I adore athletics and am a former Varsity Blues pole vaulter for Oxford University where I earned a master’s degree in Learning and Technology. I currently serve as a Business, Entrepreneurship, and Fellowships Resident Tutor at Harvard University. Excited to see where this class takes us all.

Assorted Related Links: