2 thoughts on “

1. Sarah, your info-graphic neatly captures your media consumption. I would have loved to see some data on the time dimension. Interesting insight on customization: “I feel better informed about specific topics”—is this a good thing?

2. Thanks for your feedback, Ali.

About the time dimension: I should have mentioned that using RescueTime to capture my news consumption didn’t work out in terms of capturing the time dimension. I read most news on my iPhone. I used the app Moment to capture the time spent on my smartphone, as I coudn’t find any better alternative for RescueTime for my phone (at least in the Swiss Apple store). I spent most time on my smartphone that week figuring out the app Steller.co which was not about news. RescueTime on my laptop was not precice enough to let me know about news. Even though I activated a detailed analysis of my browser time, it would only tell my how much time I spent on Firefox – which doesn’t mean anything. Because I spend almost every minute on my computer on Firefox (Email, news sites, Photoshop, thesaurus, Google Docs, social networks, etc.) The learning is that the time I interact with news is almost impossible to track.

About your question: ‘“I feel better informed about specific topics”—is this a good thing?’ It is a good thing in terms of being better informed about international research results and what is going on specific topics. At the same time, it is a bad thing because my day has only 24 hours and I am therefore usually a little less informed about national und international news of general interest such as global politics (attention economy). I am trapped in my very own filter bubble. Or as Cass Sunstein put in his book Republic.com, in my echo chamber.