Phil Interviews Charles Kaïoun

Charles KaiounAfter scouring the web for useful information about Charles, all I found was a sparse twitter account, a non-descript bio/resume (he is a 20-handicap golfer), and a handful of links to websites. I was left wondering who is Charles Kaioun, this virtual enigma – someone who I interact with on nearly a daily basis at MIT, but who I also hardly know.

I decided to record the interview in 360 degree sound, testing a cheap pair of binaural audio recording headphones I picked up over winter break, trying to see if it might be possible to capture the sense of a first encounter with Charles.

Our conversation in a half occupied lounge of MIT’s Sloan School of Management floated from a family history of war and genocide to Y2K and virtual reality.

We began the conversation with a discussion of Charles’ heritage, which like mine is one of mixed origins with buried histories. Play Here: Charles 1 (02:00)

At the start Charles’ story evokes my own challenge to capture my family history, which I share with Charles and sparks a further discussion. Play Here: Charles 2 (01:47)

At this point, our conversation begins to drift from a discussion of our grandparents generation and its enigmatic qualities to present day virtuality. Charles 3 (0:58)

Charles begins to discuss how he might blend past and present with a virtual walk trough of his family history. Charles 4 (01:33)

Charles’ interest in virtual reality is inescapable. I have to ask where this passion originated. Surprisingly it leads back to Y2K. Charles is captivated by the magical properties of computing technology. Charles 5 (03:00)

We end back where we started with a look back at our grandparents stories, wondering what we might look like 80 years from now to future generations. Charles Close (0:57)

I am left thinking of the stories of Charles’ grandparents – his sister’s effort to document their lives and Charles’ passion for virtual reality – wondering whether the future of news might in fact have something to do with re-capturing the past.

3 thoughts on “Phil Interviews Charles Kaïoun

1. Phil:
    Loved your nut graph (really hooks the reader)
    “After scouring the web for useful information about Charles, all I found was a sparse twitter account, a non-descript bio/resume (he is a 20-handicap golfer), and a handful of links to websites. I was left wondering who is Charles Kaioun, this virtual enigma – someone who I interact with on nearly a daily basis at MIT, but who I also hardly know.”

The sound bites really animate the text of the narrative.

Would have loved to see some kind of theme in the profile in the narrative.

Overall, great work.

2. I seriously love youyr site.. Excellent colors & theme. Did you build
    this amazing site yourself? Please reply back as I’m planning
    to create my own pesonal website and would love to learn where
    you got this ffrom or what the theme is named.Kudos!

3. Hello, i believe that i noticed you visited my web site so
    i came to return the desire?.I am trying to to find issues to enhance my web site!I guess its ok to use a few of
    your ideas!!