Media Diary – Jia

This assignment came at the perfect time – it’s a very very busy month and I really need to improve my media diet. The goal of my media diary is to determine a media consumption routine that is the most productive(towards dissertation research).

Diary:  see screenshots below or see interactive diary here

the key: to mimic a hand-drawn feel, I used hatch marks. The messier the mark, the less productive.

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 11.40.07 PM

total days: 1 – 7, from last Wednesday, I went on a ill-timed vacation

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 11.30.52 PM

productivity is highest in early – mid morningScreen Shot 2016-02-16 at 11.28.37 PM

overall I am not productive 🙁

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 11.34.36 PM

I work at the lab or on the train

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 11.34.52 PM

Parameters: The media I measured are what inputs I get, not what I make(those are tracked in a spreadsheet already).

IMG_3045survey_screenCollection: After using rescuetime for a few days, I decided against it because it’s automatic recordings didn’t allow me to reflect on what I consumed. The method I found most helpful was to hand record as I go throughout the day. After the first few days, I adapted my notes into a google form(left) so that I can input directly from my phone into a standard format.

The format of my recording results in a spreadsheet with columns for date, time, media, productivity, who I am with, part of day, duration, place, and a short description.

Visualization: I chose this assignment to write a simple reusable visualization module and experiment with opening up visualizations to others on github. Inspired by “Dear Data”, I made a simple spreadsheet to sortable hatch marks visualization.

It is really still a work in progress.

Conclusions: I am pretty predicable. I look at Instagram and online shop throughout the day. I am most productive in the lab, on the train, and in the early mornings.

There is so much I want to do for this visualization. Changing the labels, adding more notes, increasing the clarity with some modifications, and using google spreadsheets directly instead of a downloaded spreadsheet. This repo I made for code in the project is working. (without the key panel)

the entered data, the input form