Anne Crosby

I’m Anne Crosby, and I am a first year student in Harvard Divinity School’s master of theological studies (MTS) program. I am focusing on Chinese politics, ethics, and religion.

I majored in History and East Asian Studies as an undergraduate and went on to earn a masters degree in information science. After teaching at the post-secondary level in California and earning an Ed.M., I decided to combine my interest in technology with my background in East Asian and pursue yet another masters degree.

I’m certainly not a master programmer, but I have basic coding experience, UI, and web design skills. For me the internet is about culture and human interaction—technology is a means but not an end. This course is exciting because it will be an opportunity to collaborate with some amazing classmates. I have no experience in journalism, but I love putting my info. science background to work sifting through tidbits of information and connecting the dots.

I am a consummate traveler and take every opportunity to explore the world outside of the US, spending most of my time in South and East Asia; however, Antarctica is the most incredible place I have visited. Amazing.

Things I think about sometimes:

• <i>What’s</i> the news that’s fit to print?
• <i>Who</i> the heck printed that anyway?
• Also:
o Soft power, propaganda, transnational trolling
o Networks of trust
o The role of local/localized news in civic engagement
o Net neutrality and censorship
o Internet sovereignty vs. a free and open internet